UGA offers many unique programs that suit most majors for academic credit, but for students with more specific study abroad needs, UGA also provides external opportunities for students to study, intern, research, or participate in service-learning abroad. Students going on Non-UGA education abroad experiences not included on the StudyAway Portal program list will use this application to ensure Office of Global Engagement approval.
Non-UGA Program Approval Guidelines
We’re glad you’re interested in pursuing an academic experience abroad! Students are only eligible for academic credit and financial aid for non-UGA programs if they have been approved by the UGA Office of Global Engagement. A list of approved non-UGA program providers can be found on the Non-UGA General Program Application
If your program is not already on the approved provider list
(listed below) with UGA, you need to complete the Non-UGA Program Approval petition process
to seek provider approval. If you are still unsure if your program is approved, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Office of Global Engagement reserves the right to deny approval of any non-UGA program upon its sole discretion. If a program is not approved, credits may not be transferable and federal and/or state financial aid will not be available. All Non-UGA Program Approval Petitions must be submitted by October 15th for spring programs and March 15th for summer and fall programs. If petitions are not completed by these dates, the program will not be considered for approval.
For approved non-UGA programs, academic credit and financial aid availability will be contingent upon the completion of the following:
- Submission of all application materials and fulfillment of requirements in the StudyAway Portal. Including but not limited to the following:
- Submission of a finalized Transfer Credit Approval Form
- Completion of STEX study abroad placeholder course registration and TCAF Fee payment
- Submission of the final Enrollment Verification Form (due within two weeks of being abroad)
For disbursement of State-Aid (Hope/Zell): proof of course registration/enrollment in the program from the program provider must be submitted to OGE.
Non-UGA Program Approval Petition and Follow Up Steps
- Fill out the Non-UGA Program Approval Petition here. This Petition must be completed by October 15th for spring programs or March 15th for summer and fall programs.
- Once step one of the petition process is complete, students will receive an email with instructions on completing a Short Form Agreement with their program. Until this is signed and finalized, the program will not be approved.
- Email the signed agreement to the UGA Office of Global Engagement at email@example.com.
- OGE staff will review documentation and follow up with program approval.
- After the program is approved, complete the program application in the StudyAway Portal.
All students are required to attend the mandatory UGA Pre-Departure Orientation before studying abroad.
List of Approved Program Providers
To find your ideal Non-UGA program, browse the variety of offerings from the following program providers:
- Other Study Abroad Providers *Affiliation pending, petition process still required*:
How to Apply
Students going on Non-UGA programs will apply directly to their chosen program. Additionally, students will also use the “Non-UGA General Program” application to ensure they receive credit transfer approval and appropriate support from UGA.
Please apply to the program application term that best reflects the dates to the Non-UGA program to which you are applying. Note that these are UGA’s application deadlines, and may not reflect the deadlines for the specific program to which you will apply.
|Jan. 1, 2021 - April 30, 2021
|May 1, 2021 - July 31, 2021
||Summer Extended 2021
|Aug. 1, 2020 - Dec. 31, 2020
|Aug. 1, 2020 - April 28, 2021
||Academic Year 2020-2021
Academic Credit Transfer
Students going on Non-UGA education abroad programs for academic credit must fill out a Transfer Credit Approval Form (TCAF) and register in a placeholder STEX 1001/1002 course in Athena prior to departure. These two steps are critical for receiving academic credit towards your UGA degree, in addition to receiving financial aid for the term. Students will consult the available courses offered by their program and have the proposed courses pre-approved in consultation with an Global Education Advisor, department heads, and their academic advisor to ensure courses transfer back to UGA. There is a $250 TCAF fee charged to the student's account for study abroad transfer credit.
Please note the following about grades:
How to fill out a TCAF Video
- Grades for students going on Non-UGA programs that issue a transcript from a foreign academic university will appear as Pass/Fail on the UGA transcript. Earned grades will not be factored into the overall UGA grade point average; however, these grades could be a factor for students who intend to apply to graduate school or for UGA graduation honors.
- Grades for students going on Non-UGA programs that issue a transcript from a U.S. university will appear on the UGA transcript and will be factored into the overall UGA grade point average.
Housing options vary among different study abroad programs. Students on Non-UGA programs could be offered homestays, international student residences, off-campus apartments, or hostels/hotels. Some programs may let you choose your housing preference, while others may have only one option. It is important to research what housing is offered for the programs you have interest, as that can impact your decision to apply to those programs.
Financial Aid & Scholarships
Students going on Non-UGA programs pay their programs directly for the total cost of the program. Prices vary depending on many factors including cost of tuition, the cost of living, program duration, accommodation, excursions, etc. When considering Non-UGA programs, it is important to consider these factors, as well as other costs, such as airfare, visas, personal travel, and spending money.
Students may use their awarded federal or state financial aid, including HOPE or Zell Miller scholarships, or student loans, towards non-UGA study abroad programs which have been approved for transfer credit by UGA and the Office of Global Engagement. A completed Transfer Credit Approval Form, registration in the STEX study abroad placeholder course, a program cost breakdown, and proof of course enrollment are required before aid can be disbursed.
Students may also work with the Office of Student Financial Aid to potentially update their official “cost of attendance” at UGA for the term abroad in order to reflect the full cost of studying abroad.
In addition, students may apply for merit and need-based scholarships through their academic colleges or the Non-UGA study abroad program to which they apply. More information can be found in the funding and scholarships section of our website.
Global Education Advisors are happy to meet with you to discuss your Non-UGA study abroad options! Walk-in advising hours are held throughout the week in the Office of Global Engagement. Please consult the available hours on the StudyAway Portal. If you would like to schedule a 30-minute appointment with an advisor, please attend an Education Abroad 101 info session and then make an appointment on the home page of studyaway.uga.edu.
This application can be utilized for student pursing internship credit if they will receive transfer credit for their experience. If you are receiving direct UGA credit sponsored by the department please apply on the General Independent Experience Application
. If you are unsure, utilize this flowchart