UGA- SPIA- GLOBIS: Verona Study Abroad Program Maymester
The Verona Study Abroad program began in the summer of 1993. Included in the summer program are major cultural tours of Florence and Rome with multi-night stays in each city. While in Verona students will visit the Tuscany region, experience an Italian cooking class, visit the Verona Refugee Center and take day trips to Venice and Bolzano. Courses are offered primarily in International Affairs and Political Science. Specific courses to be determined.
Verona is located in northeastern Italy between Milan and Venice in an area known as the Veneto region. The city is famous for Juliet's balcony where William Shakespeare set his play, "Romeo and Juliet," and for its Roman Arena, which is the third largest Roman arena in Italy, where a famous opera festival is held each summer.
Tracy Elder, Program Director
Jessica Dick, Accountant
113 Franklin House
480 E. Broad St.
Athens, GA 30602
Contact the following previous participants for more information:
Verona Study Abroad Program
All Prerequisites will be waived.
INTL 4780 - Special Topics in Comparative Politics (3 Hours)
Theoretical, analytical, and empirical approaches to comparative politics.
– European Union (3 hours)
The historical origins, development, and current challenges of the European Union. The impact on national sovereignty, external relations, and internal democracy.
-- Political Psychology (3 hours)
Examination of how psychological processes and concepts can influence political attitudes and behavior. This includes various aspects of human psychology, such as personality, motivation, values, and morality, as well as information processing, emotions, and group identities.
Additional course to be offered - TBD
Sample Itinerary for Verona Maymester, 2020.pdf please note that some activities may be added or deleted. This itinerary is designed to give you an overview of the program.
What is included in the program fee?
- Accommodations in the City Centre of Verona. While in Verona, students and faculty will stay in apartments. While on overnight excursions to Florence and Rome, students will be in hotels.
- Meals. While in Verona, students will have a kitchen in their apartments and will provide their own meals on days when we have class. Breakfast will be provided each morning when we are staying at hotels. There will also be several group meals in connection with scheduled program activities (see calendar).
- Ground transportation on all cultural tours.
- Hotel accommodations in Florence and Rome.
- Entrance fees on cultural tours.
- Medical Insurance through CISI
- Verona City Bus Pass
What is NOT covered in the program fee?
- Tuition. Tuition and fees will be paid directly to the UGA Bursar’s Office.
- Round-trip airfare. (Optional flight TBA)
- Meals other than those listed.
- Independent travel
- Other personal expenses