- UGA Insurance 101
- View the UGA Participant Guide for information specific to UGA students enrolled in the CISI coverage.
- Important Information about CISI Overseas Health Coverage
- Students on UGA Global Education programs will be enrolled in batch for their program dates by the Office of Global Engagement.
- 2018-2019 USG CISI Policy - For travel dates starting August 1, 2018 or later.
- 2019-2020 USG CISI Policy - For travel dates starting August 1, 2019 or later.
File a Claim
- 2018-2019 USG CISI Claim Form - For travel dates starting August 1, 2018 or later.
- 2019-2020 USG CISI Claim Form - For travel dates starting August 1, 2019 or later.
CISI Mobile Apps
CISI Student Insurance
The University System of Georgia (USG) has entered into an agreement with Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) to provide a robust and encompassing primary insurance plan for all USG students studying abroad. All students participating in UGA-sponsored study abroad programs are required to be enrolled in CISI international health and travel insurance.
All students studying on UGA Global Education programs will be enrolled in batch for their program dates by the Office of Global Engagement. Students should not enroll themselves for the official program dates. Students who will be traveling outside of the official program dates may extend their coverage by contacting the Office of Global Engagement (706-542-2900).
Trip CancellationThe University of Georgia and the Office of Global Engagement (OGE) recognize that unforeseen circumstances sometimes require trip cancellation. Neither the University nor OGE, however, can offer refunds or fee forgiveness outside of the StudyAway Program Withdrawal Policy.
All students participating in UGA-sponsored study abroad programs are required to be enrolled in CISI international health and travel insurance. For faculty-led and Residential Center programs conducted in groups, OGE will enroll all program participants into USG/UGA CISI coverage. Students traveling on all other programs are required to self-enroll into the policy. Enrollment instructions are available to students as a part of their travel registration with OGE.
The USG/UGA CISI policy offers the following trip cancellation benefit that starts 30 days prior to the program’s official departure date:
We will reimburse the Program Fee if the Insured Student would otherwise be eligible for benefits under the Policy but is prevented from taking the Trip for any of the following reasons: 1) Death of a Family Member; 2) The Insured Student or Family Member suffers an Injury or Sickness that is not a Preexisting Condition. The Insured Person’s or Family Member’s Injury or Sickness must be so disabling, as certified by a Doctor, to reasonably cause a person to cancel the Trip.
Benefits are payable up the maximum shown in the Schedule of Benefits only if: 1) the event causing the cancellation of participation in the Trip occurs within 30 days prior to the scheduled departure date; 2) to the extent the program fee has been paid and is not refundable We will not reimburse any amount of the Program fee for: a) the Program Application fee; b) any deposit paid to confirm participation in the Program; or c) any insurance premiums or fees. The full CISI policy is available here.
Student Travel PolicyStudents pursuing independent study, research, or internships abroad (undergraduate or graduate) who will be enrolled in UGA coursework (including thesis or dissertation hours) or funded wholly or partially by UGA sources must:
- Complete documentation online in the UGA Travel Registry.
- Purchase CISI travel insurance using the UGA policy.
- Attend a pre-departure orientation. Contact Education Abroad for available times (firstname.lastname@example.org).
CISI Insurance for Faculty/Staff
CISI Insurance for Faculty/Staff on Study AbroadCISI coverage through the study abroad policy is required for faculty and staff traveling with UGA students on a program approved by UGA. Faculty and staff will be enrolled into the coverage by OGE for the official dates of their program no later than one month prior to program departure. CISI coverage is available and strongly encouraged for dependents of UGA faculty and staff traveling on UGA study abroad programs. CISI coverage through the study abroad policy is available to UGA faculty and staff only when they are traveling with students on approved study abroad programs and activities.
Base Insurance for Benefits-Eligible EmployeesAll UGA faculty and staff members traveling abroad on official university business must be covered by medical evacuation and repatriation of remains insurance. However, most employees are already covered for this insurance as described below:
Benefits-eligible employees are automatically enrolled in $25,000 basic life insurance administered through Minnesota Life, which includes Travel Services. Travel Services are available to benefits-eligible employees as well as their spouses and dependent children. Information about the Travel Services provided through Minnesota Life can be found at http://www.usg.edu/assets/hr/benefits_docs/F66715-23_Travel_Assistance_Summary.pdfMore information about UGA Human Resources Benefits can be found on the UGA HR website. (http://www.hr.uga.edu/benefits)
Optional Additional Travel Insurance, or Insurance for Non-Benefits Eligible EmployeesDepending on your regular health insurance plan, or if you are not a benefits-eligible employee, you may wish to purchase additional overseas health insurance. The University System of Georgia offers a Business Travel Insurance for Faculty & Staff through CISI. This additional insurance costs $2.43 per day. Optional dependent coverage is also available at $5.33 per day.
For additional information, please see Faculty-Staff Business Travel Participant Guide
- 2017-2018 Faculty-Staff Business Travel Policy Brochure for travel dates starting before August 1, 2018.
- 2018-2019 Faculty-Staff Business Travel Policy Brochure for travel dates starting August 1, 2018 or later.
- 2017-2018 Faculty-Staff Business Travel Self-Enrollment Instructions for travel dates starting before August 1, 2018.
- 2018-2019 Faculty-Staff Business Travel Self-Enrollment Instructions for travel dates starting August 1, 2018 or later.
- Faculty-Staff Business Travel Dependent Enrollment Form for all travel dates.
- Faculty-Staff Business Travel Claim Form for all travel dates.