Please click to expand the sections below.
UGA Conduct Regulations for Students
Students on UGA StudyAway programs, whether they are regularly enrolled, degree-seeking students or transient or transfer students for a semester or summer, are under the UGA Conduct Regulations as established by the UGA Office of Judicial Programs.
UGA Sexual Harassment Policy
Students on UGA StudyAway programs, whether they are regularly enrolled, degree-seeking students or transient or transfer students for a semester or summer, are under the UGA Sexual Harassment Policy as established by the UGA Office of Legal Affairs.
UGA Student Alcohol Policy
Please see the following explanation of the Student Alcohol Policy as it relates to study away.
Academic Honesty at UGA and Away
All students are expect to abide by the Academic Honesty Policies set for by the Office of the Vice President for Instruction.
UGA Programs for Minors Policy
Read about the requirements for programs that include minors.
Responsibility of Students while Studying Away
During a study away experience, as in other settings, participants can have a major impact on their own health and safety through the decisions they make before and during their program and by their day-to-day choices and behaviors.
- Assume responsibility for all the elements necessary for their personal preparation for the program and participate fully in orientations.
- Read and carefully consider all materials issued by the sponsor that relate to safety, health, legal, environmental, political, cultural, and religious conditions in the host country(ies).
- Conduct their own research on the country(ies) they plan to visit with particular emphasis on health and safety concerns, as well as the social, cultural, and political situations.
- Consider their physical and mental health, and other personal circumstances when applying for or accepting a place in a program, and make available to the sponsor accurate and complete physical and mental health information and any other personal data that is necessary in planning for a safe and healthy study away experience.
- Obtain and maintain appropriate insurance coverage and abide by any conditions imposed by the carriers.
- Inform parents/guardians/families and any others who may need to know about their participation in the study away program, provide them with emergency contact information, and keep them informed of their whereabouts and activities.
- Understand and comply with the terms of participation, codes of conduct, and emergency procedures of the program.
- Be aware of local conditions and customs that may present health or safety risks when making daily choices and decisions. Promptly express any health or safety concerns to the program staff or other appropriate individuals before and/or during the program.
- Accept responsibility for their own decisions and actions.
- Obey host-country laws.
- Behave in a manner that is respectful of the rights and well-being of others, and encourage others to behave in a similar manner.
- Avoid illegal drugs and excessive or irresponsible consumption of alcohol.
- Follow the program policies for keeping program staff informed of their whereabouts and well-being.
- Become familiar with the procedures for obtaining emergency health and legal system services in the host county.
- Cannot guarantee or assure the safety of participants or eliminate all risks from the study away environment.
- Cannot monitor or control all of the daily personal decisions, choices, and activities of individual participants.
- Cannot prevent participants from engaging in illegal, dangerous or unwise activities.
- Cannot assure that U.S. standards of due process apply in overseas legal proceedings or provide or pay for legal representation for participants.
- Cannot assume responsibility for the actions of persons not employed or otherwise engaged by the program sponsor, for events that are not part of the program, or that are beyond the control of the sponsor and its subcontractors, or for situations that may arise due to the failure of a participant to disclose pertinent information.
- Cannot assure that home-country cultural values and norms will apply in the host country.
Office of Global Engagement Program Fee Withdrawal Policy
All students paying a program deposit are subject to the Office of Global Engagement Program Fee Withdrawal Policy.
All faculty leading Study Away programming should be familiar with the policies and procedures outlined in the Study Away Program Director Manual.