All students participating in programs abroad for academic credit will need to enrolled into appropriate UGA academic courses before starting their international academic experience. This enrollment must be maintained thoughout the program. Being enrolled for the appropriate number of credit hours at UGA during your program abroad will release your UGA financial aid for the term to pay your program expenses. UGA students participating in an approved non-UGA program must also enroll for the appropriate term at UGA.
Faculty-led ProgramsStudents will need to enroll into appropriate UGA classes, information on specific courses wil be provided by the faculty leader. These classes are generally taught by the program course leader. Normally, there will be several mandatory meetings the semester prior to departure -- and often you will finish your assignments after your return. Remember to direct questions regarding readings and/or homework for the course to your program leader.
Semester and Non-Faculty-led Short-term ProgramsStudents will receive letter grades for all courses taken away and may use credit earned away to satisfy graduation requirements in major, minor, certificate, or elective categories. ALL courses need to be approved prior to departure.
The Transfer Credit Approval Form must be completed before departure to apply foreign academic credit toward your UGA degree. The Transfer Credit Approval Form, after signatures are obtained, constitutes an agreement that courses you complete during a study away experience will count toward your degree at UGA.
How do I get foreign courses approved?
- Research to determine which programs offer the appropriate academics.
- Select your program.
- Print off syllabi for each foreign courses.
- Fill out Transfer Course Approval Form identifying your requested UGA course equivalencies. Remember, to attach the foreign course syllabi to your Transfer Course Approval Form.
- For major, minor, or certificate courses: Have foreign course syllabi assessed by the appropriate UGA Department and obtain approval signatures for UGA equivalencies.
Remember: Approval Signatures are Required on the form for each course!
Once your Transfer Course Approval Form is completed, the original will be housed in your Global Education office file -- but it's good to keep a copy for yourself! After you complete your program, the foreign institution will mail your official transcript to the UGA Global Education office (this can take time).
Post-StudyAway & Transcripts
After your study away program is complete, the foreign institution should mail your official transcript to the UGA Office of Global Engagement only. After your foreign transcript has arrived at UGA, your final grades will be posted to your transcript. Please give UGA 2-4 weeks to process your transcript.
- For spring or summer participants, foreign transcripts typically arrive between June-October
- For fall participants, foreign transcripts typically arrive between January-April